New in SIDRA INTERSECTION 9.1
We have worked hard to develop many new features and greatly enhance existing models as wanted by our users.
Output reports and displays by Movement Class, Pedestrians and Persons
SIDRA INTERSECTION has the ability for the user to choose the Movement Classes to be included in output reports and displays. Movement Classes include Light Vehicles, Heavy Vehicles, Buses, Bicycles, Large Trucks, Light Rail / Trams and six user-defined Movement Classes.
For better congestion modelling
SIDRA INTERSECTION 9.1 features a new Variable Demand Model used for the performance analysis of sequential flow periods in cases of persistent congestion. The new method uses Initial Queued Demand input for oversaturated lanes as determined in the previous analysis period.
Enhanced new algorithm
In addition to estimating the effects of short lanes on intersection capacity, the unique SIDRA Short Lane model has been enhanced to include:
- a new model for delays and stops experienced by drivers in the queue that forms upstream of short lane entry, and
- improvements to the model for the effect of platooned arrivals on short lane capacity and performance.
A unique method for all gap acceptance situations
The gap acceptance capacity model in the latest version of SIDRA INTERSECTION has been enhanced by applying the critical gap and follow-up headway parameters to each Movement Class separately.
For lanes that include more than one Movement Class, the shared lane capacity equation is applied using the Movement Class capacity values.
The method applies to all gap acceptance situations (roundabouts, sign control, permitted turns and Right Turn On Red at signals, bypass lanes by yield, merging at exit short lanes).
For enhanced model calibration
We have developed a Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) 6 Extended Roundabout Capacity Model. This new capacity model option:
- enables better model calibration by specifying parameter values that distinguish different lane configurations including separate parameters for bypass lanes,
- is based on US research (roundabout surveys carried out for Wisconsin DOT as published by Campbell, Olsson and Sternke 2021), and
- uses the roundabout capacity equations introduced in HCM Edition 6 which remain unchanged in HCM Edition 7.
Model enhancements to extend analysis capabilities further
- Enhanced method for program-determined Conflict Zone Length for unsignalised pedestrian crossings where vehicles give way / yield to pedestrians.
- Updated congestion term in performance functions.
- Improved Lane Blockage model for some specific conditions.
- Extra Midblock Delay parameter as user input.
- Improved performance model for All Way Stop Control using lane-based Departure Headway parameter.
- Improved signal timing method combining Pedestrian Actuation and Minor Phase Actuation requirements.
- Improved multi-sequence and variable signal phasing and timing analysis.
- New input parameters:
- Include Short Lane Upstream Delay & Stops
- Initial Queued Demand
- Apply US HCM 6 Extended Roundabout Capacity Model
- HCM 6 Extended Roundabout Capacity Model Parameters
- Extra Midblock Delay
- Show Secondary Platoons (Time-Distance Display Option)
User Interface Improvements
New and Improved Network and Site Templates
We have made various improvements and additions to Templates:
- New Network and Site templates have been added and existing templates have been improved.
- Network Templates command has been introduced for adding selected Templates into the Project easily.
New Site Templates
- Arterial Segment (One-Way and Two-Way)
- Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB) Crossing
- Pelican Crossing
- Raindrop Roundabout
- Shuttle Flow Operation (Signals and Give-Way)
- Turbo Roundabout
- Two-Stage T-Intersection
(Added Lane, Priority Merge and Zipper Merge)
New Network Templates
- Double Teardrop Roundabout Interchange
- Partial Cloverleaf (Parclo) Interchange
- Roundabout with Bicycle Circle (Dutch Roundabout)
- Unsignalised Wide-Median Intersection
Enhanced reporting for more detailed and valuable results
- Output reports and displays by Movement Class, Pedestrians and Persons with the ability for the user to choose the Movement Classes (LVs, HVs, Buses, Bicycles, etc) to include. Accordingly, all relevant performance statistics (degree of saturation, delay, travel time, stop rate, cost, emissions, etc) will be presented by Movement Class (MC).
- User Reports function improved through Customise Report and Customise Display options to select individual elements of report and displays.
- PDF Output function improved allowing users to set the order of output reports and displays in the PDF file.
- Enhanced Time-Distance displays showing displayed signal timings, phase names and secondary platoons formed by queued vehicles on intermediate approaches.
- Parameters of HCM Roundabout Capacity models given in the Detailed Output report.
- Midblock Unsignalised Pedestrian (Zebra) Crossing Analysis table in the Detailed Output report.
- Cost parameters updated to latest values available.
- Optional yellow highlighting of special results in output reports.
- Numerous other improvements to Site, Network and Route output reports and displays.
- VOLUMES Excel Application for Version 9.1.
A new method to draw more realistic roundabout layout pictures and various other enhancements have been introduced:
- more realistic kerb lines, entry, exit and circulating lane markings, and transition lines,
- improved drawings of elliptical roundabouts, small size roundabouts, raindrop (teardrop) designs, slip/bypass lanes and 45-degree approaches,
- unsignalised pedestrian crossings shown, and
- improved function for setting the number of downstream circulating lanes.
Improved Network layout pictures have been achieved by providing ability in the Network Configuration dialog to:
- place Sites closer for the Network layout picture to match the Network geometry, and
- select multiple Sites simultaneously for repositioning or removing from a Network.
More useful details are available in interactive Time-Distance displays for routes, including displayed signal timings, phase names and secondary platoons formed by queued vehicles on intermediate approaches.
In addition to New features for enhanced user experience include:
- New Network Configuration feature for simultaneous repositioning or removing multiple Sites.
- Right-clicking over a Site in Network layout pictures and Lane Displays for Networks to access Site functions including selection of the Site.
- Function to import signal sequences.
- Editable phasing diagrams in all tabs of the Phasing & Timing dialog.
- New US format labelling of signal phases.
VOLUMES Excel Application for Version 9.1.
The VOLUMES utility for SIDRA INTERSECTION 9.1 is a macro-enabled Excel application that allows specification of volumes and related data within the Excel file. It can upload volume data from Excel to the SIDRA INTERSECTION Project file. It can also process a selected Site in a SIDRA INTERSECTION Project using data given in the Project file or in the Excel file, providing Volume Output, Intersection Output, Movement Output, Lane Output and Pedestrian Output data in Excel sheets.
We have introduced a new cloud-based software licence that allows a set number of seats to be shared by a number of simultaneous End Users within an organisation to access the software on a first come, first served basis.
Update history for this version can be found on this page.