Click on the above playlist to watch video tutorials for SIDRA INTERSECTION. Visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel for these and more tutorial videos.
If you would like to know more about our products, licensing, online store or online user account, or would like to contact technical support, please visit our Support Site:
We are excited to inform you that the latest major upgrade to SIDRA INTERSECTION is available now from our online store. This is a major new version that builds on Version 6.0 and brings forward some of the features which have been under development for Version 7.
Available in two versions - PLUS & NETWORK - these offer exactly the same functionality, except you can model up to 20 intersections with the NETWORK version. PLUS version you can model one or two intersections:
The main new features include the following:
//New and Improved Models
· New model for signal coordination effects using Signal Offsets and lane-based second-by-second platoon patterns including lane changes and platoon dispersion.
· New method for the program to calculate Extra Bunching values for roundabouts and two-way sign controlled intersections with upstream signalised intersections in Network analysis.
· In Network analysis, excess back of queue will be passed on to upstream continuous lanes to allow for queue blockage from a downstream intersection to apply to intersections further upstream.
· Pedestrian Actuation method for improved signal timing calculations when pedestrian volumes are low.
· Phase Actuation method for improved signal timing calculations when vehicle volumes are low.
· Improved delay calculations for movements in shared lanes at two-way sign controlled intersections and roundabouts including shared continuous and opposed movement lanes.
· New model for the effect of opposed turns in Major Road short lanes at Two-Way Sign Control Sites on the capacity and performance of the adjacent through (continuous) movement when there is overflow from the back of the short lane.
· Significant enhancements to handling of two-segment lanes including cases when the two segment lane is treated as a short lane.
· Cost model parameters updated.
//User Interface Improvements
· Network Layout display with detailed geometry as in Site Layout pictures.
· Improved Site Layout diagrams.
· Multiple Site and Network selections for opening or printing reports and displays, and for various user interface functions (Process, Clone, etc).
· New Staged Crossing and Merge templates.
· The processing time for Sites and Networks and program memory usage for large Networks improved significantly.
· User Guide and Help system finalised.
SIDRA INTERSECTION features a unique lane-based micro-analytical Network Model, incorporating all types of intersection and diverse Movement Classes. Lane disciplines (exclusive and shared lane arrangements) and all movement data are specified, and all lane flow calculations, capacity and performance estimation and signal timing calculations are carried out by Origin – Destination movements and Movement Classes. This is the biggest change in the 30+ year history of the software.
SIDRA INTERSECTION employs a lane-based network model allowing all intersection types - signals, roundabouts, sign control in one network. Backward Spread of Congestion (queue spillback) resulting in capacity reduction at upstream lanes, and Capacity Constraint reducing the demand volumes of downstream lanes as a result of oversaturated upstream lanes are powerful features of this model.
Lane Movements are used to model blockage of upstream lanes depending on lane choices of movements from approach lanes to exit lanes. Upstream and downstream lane flows and mid-block lane changes determine platooning on an approach.
Networks are easy to configure using SIDRA INTERSECTION Sites.
Light vehicles, heavy vehicles, buses, bicycles, large trucks, light rail/trams as well as two user classes - with different vehicle characteristics - can be allocated to different lanes, lane segments and signal phases. This provides a unique method for modelling of Bus Priority Lanes, Bicycle Lanes, and so on.
SIDRA INTERSECTION is the most advanced software for roundabouts. Many powerful model features have been introduced in recent versions:
Roundabout corridors can be analysed in detail using the new network model.
Program will calculate Extra Bunching values for roundabouts (also for two-way sign controlled intersections) with upstream signalised intersections in Network analysis.
Circulating lane flows: improved model of unequal circulating lane flow rates for bunching calculations, and circulating lane flow rates given in the Detailed Output report.
"Set as Dominant Lane" for user control of how the dominant and subdominant lanes are determined.
"Include Slip/Bypass Lane in Entry Lane Count" for user control of how slip / bypass lanes are handled.
"Percent Opposed by Nearest Lane Only" for specifying conditions where some traffic gives way (yields) to the nearest circulating lane or exiting lane.
Origin-Destination Factor: model improved to make allowance for lane flow balance of lanes on the dominant approach.
HCM 2010 roundabout capacity model: improved calibration method introduced.
The new two-way sign control method adjusts gap acceptance parameters automatically for intersection geometry and control, with option to apply reduction with opposing flow rate. The new model of opposing stream headways includes the effect of unequal lane use of opposing (major) stream lanes on minor stream capacities. A new parameter Percent Opposed by Nearest Lane Only is used for specifying conditions where some traffic gives way (yields) to the nearest opposing (major road) traffic lane.
The two-way sign-control model includes the effect of pedestrians on vehicle movements.
A good understanding of traffic operations at intersections is essential for effective use of traffic models for intersection design and traffic planning purposes. Model calibration is an important element of this process. Our SIDRA INTERSECTION workshops are not just about intersection analysis, but aim to improve general understanding of operational analysis of all traffic facilities.
We have representatives who run training workshops in other countries. They are supported by Akcelik & Associates for providing up to date training programs. See our list of Representatives